Thursday, April 11, 2013

Yume Sushi

I finished my dance class and was heading towards Little Caesar's on 14th Street for their $5 pepperoni pizza as a late dinner. I was hungry and it was getting late, so I wanted something quick and cheap. As we were nearing Little Caesar's, I remembered that Yume Sushi was in the plaza strip right next to it. I've heard of Yume previously and the $1.00 sushi that they are known for, so I changed my mind and decided on sushi for the night instead. I stepped into the restaurant right before 9pm and the only person found sitting at a table was the owner who appeared to be doing paperwork of some sort. I wasn't sure if they were open so I walked in reluctantly. The owner was friendly and told us to come right on in as they were still open and to mind our steps as the floor was wet from being freshly mopped. I told her I just wanted to get some take out and she gestured us to the front of the restaurant and once again reminded us to be careful of our steps. When I neared the front counter/sushi bar, I saw a stack of binded in-store menus as well as paper take-out menus. Neither the owner nor the employee who stood behind the counter directed me the menu to use but I quickly figured out I had to check off items to be ordered from the paper menu.




Once I completed my ordering sheet, the owner told me to take a seat. During this time, I got the chance to take a look around the restaurant. It was a small restaurant, nothing of the fancy type, but comfortable and casual.



Within a short matter of time, my takeout was ready. I ended up ordering 13 pieces of sushi, $1.00 each, with the exception of the hotategai (scallop) and special scallop sushi, both of which were $1.50/piece.


Top to bottom, left to right: Hotategai (Scallop) x2, White Maguro (White Tuna) x2, Shake (Raw Salmon) x2, Ika (Squid), Hokkigai (Surf Clam), Saba (Mackerel) x2, Amaebi (Raw Sweet Prawn) x2, and Special Scallop (Chopped Scallop, Japanese Mayo, Flying Fish Roe)

I paid a total of $16.73 (tax and tips incl.) and for that price, the sushi was quite tasty. It was decently fresh and in my opinion fared better than certain all-you-can-eat restaurants in Calgary. The only sushi that I wasn't particularly fond of was the Saba. It tasted dry, chewy and just plain old. Perhaps it was just tonight that their Saba wasn't up to par. I would still give their Saba another try the next time I visit. Other than that, the other sushi were of good quality in terms of freshness and size, keeping in mind their $1.00/piece pricing. Yume Sushi isn't the best sushi you can find in Calgary, but you get what you pay for. And for $1.00/sushi, I give Yume Sushi a thumbs up. The next time I'm wanting a quick sushi fix, I'd go to Yume Sushi for its convenience and affordable pricing.

Yume Sushi on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment